Get to know BARC
Become part of a national program focused on resilience and adaptation! The Building Adaptive & Resilient Communities (BARC) Program offers a comprehensive way to respond to the impacts of climate change, develop and implement an adaptation plan, and protect the people, property, and prosperity of your community. Our online tool, expert staff, and over 20 years of experience in the field of municipal governance will give you the know-how needed to respond to the impacts of a changing climate. Work with ICLEI to make the Program work for you!
Join us for a webinar on Wednesday September 10th from 1:30-2:00pm EDT to learn more about BARC! Register now!
- Build internal capacity and work collaboratively
- Prepare for more costly and extreme weather events
- Collaborate with peers in other municipalities
- Gain access to innovative tools and resources
- Use the online BARC Tool to streamline efforts
- Receive support with ICLEI's proven adaptation framework
- Network with practitioners and experts
- Foster and enhance stakeholder engagement
- Make informed decisions and improve resilience
- Limited time offer: Receive a FREE Tier One Package and introductory kit if you join by October 15th! Details here.
All BARC Members benefit from the following core services:
|Dedicated ICLEI liaison: Access to ICLEI staff for consultation, technical support, and expert guidance on all things adaptation.|
|Full and unlimited access to the BARC Tool: Take advantage of this dynamic online platform and to record all of your impacts, assessments, and actions to use in your adaptation planning.|
|Research assistance: ICLEI staff will identify preliminary climate change impacts for your community and best management practices.|
|Expert input: ICLEI will deliver to tools to carry out a comprehensive risk and vulnerability assessments as part of your planning process.|
|Planning guidance: Discover ways to set adaptation objectives and targets, create adaptation actions, and draft an adaptation plan.|
|Implementation assistance: Identify implementation solutions and corresponding monitoring and evaluation indicators.|
|Progress Reports and Check-Ins: ICLEI will stay in touch via Progress Reports, set goals and deadlines with you, and will help keep things on time and on schedule.|
|Stakeholder outreach: Gain access to basic facilitation and communication help to increase stakeholder outreach and engagement.|
|Public recognition: Celebrate your accomplishments with awards and communication materials at the completion of each Milestone to share with your community.|
|Join a growing movement: Gain inside access to the BARC Network and engage with colleagues from a wide spectrum of communities.|
* ICLEI Members will receive a 20% discount. Discounted rates for regional participation may be considered.
Optional Program Add-Ons
Whether you're just starting out or building on existing actions, this program can be tailored to work for you. Choose optional packages to create a suite of services that are right for your community!
Tier One Packages:
|Facilitation ($5,000)||Graphic Design ($5,000)|
Tier Two Packages:
|Professional Development ($7,500)||Economic Development ($10,000)|
Please note: The price of this package is subject to change based on fluctuating travel costs
|Tool Add-on ($7,500)||PIEVC Engineering ($10,000)|
Please contact Leya Barry at email@example.com or 647-728-4390.
Join BARC by October 15th to receive a FREE Tier One Package and an introductory kit:
- Welcome letter (addressed to staff, elected officials, or both)
Hard copies of a variety of publications, including:
- Changing Climate, Changing Communities
- Having the Climate Conversation
- Leadership & Legacy: Handbook for Local Elected Officials
- Finding the Nexus series
- BiodiverCITIES Primer
- ICLEI Canada case studies
- Introducing Indicators
Contact us to find out more!
The first round of the Program was launched in the fall of 2010, as the "Adaptation Initiative". This group of communities continues to grow as we happily welcome new participants.
- Capital Region District
- Durham Region
- New Glasgow
- North Vancouver (City) - see their "Climate Change Adaptation Plan" here!
- Red Deer
- Surrey - see their "Climate Adaptation Strategy" here!
- Thunder Bay
- Vancouver - see their "Climate Change Adaptation Strategy" here!
- Metro Vancouver
- Windsor - see their "Climate Change Adaptation Plan" here!
Frequently Asked Questions
Please send any questions to Leya Barry at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 647-728-4390.