Get to know BARC
Become part of a national program focused on resilience and adaptation! The Building Adaptive & Resilient Communities (BARC) Program offers a comprehensive way to respond to the impacts of climate change, develop and implement an adaptation plan, and protect the people, property, and prosperity of your community. Our online tool, expert staff, and over 20 years of experience in the field of municipal governance will give you the know-how needed to respond to the impacts of a changing climate. Work with ICLEI to make the Program work for you!
- Build internal capacity and work collaboratively
- Prepare for more costly and extreme weather events
- Collaborate with peers in other municipalities
- Gain access to innovative tools and resources
- Use the online BARC Tool to streamline efforts
- Receive support with ICLEI's proven adaptation framework
- Network with practitioners and experts
- Foster and enhance stakeholder engagement
- Make informed decisions and improve resilience
All BARC Members benefit from the following core services:
|Dedicated ICLEI liaison: Access to ICLEI staff for consultation, technical support, and expert guidance on all things adaptation.|
|Full and unlimited access to the BARC Tool: Take advantage of this dynamic online platform and to record all of your impacts, assessments, and actions to use in your adaptation planning.|
|Research assistance: ICLEI staff will identify preliminary climate change impacts for your community and best management practices.|
|Expert input: ICLEI will deliver to tools to carry out a comprehensive risk and vulnerability assessments as part of your planning process.|
|Planning guidance: Discover ways to set adaptation objectives and targets, create adaptation actions, and draft an adaptation plan. Learn more about ICLEI's Adaptation Methodology here.|
|Implementation assistance: Identify implementation solutions and corresponding monitoring and evaluation indicators.|
|Progress Reports and Check-Ins: ICLEI will stay in touch via Progress Reports, set goals and deadlines with you, and will help keep things on time and on schedule.|
|Stakeholder outreach: Gain access to basic facilitation and communication help to increase stakeholder outreach and engagement.|
|Public recognition: Celebrate your accomplishments with awards and communication materials at the completion of each Milestone to share with your community.|
|Join a growing movement: Gain inside access to the BARC Network and engage with colleagues from a wide spectrum of communities.|
* ICLEI Members will receive a 20% discount. Discounted rates for regional participation may be considered.
Optional Program Add-Ons
Whether you're just starting out or building on existing actions, this program can be tailored to work for you. Choose optional packages to create a suite of services that are right for your community!
Tier One Packages:
|Facilitation ($5,000)||Graphic Design ($5,000)|
Tier Two Packages:
|Professional Development ($7,500)||Economic Development ($10,000)|
Please note: The price of this package is subject to change based on fluctuating travel costs
|Tool Add-on ($7,500)||PIEVC Engineering ($10,000)|
Please contact Leya Barry at email@example.com or 647-728-4390.
We are very pleased to welcome our newest BARC Member the Region of Waterloo!
The first round of the Program was launched in the fall of 2010, as the "Adaptation Initiative". This group of communities continues to grow as we happily welcome new participants.
- Calgary - Milestone Two
- Capital Region District - Milestone Two
- Barrie - Milestone Three (plan completed, view it here)
- Delta - Milestone Two
- Durham Region - Milestone Five (plan completed, view it here)
- Essex - Milestone Four (plan completed, going to Council)
- Fredericton - Milestone Two
- Hamilton - Milestone Two
- Iqaluit - Milestone One
- New Glasgow - Milestone One
- North Vancouver (City) - Milestone Four (plan completed, view it here)
- North Vancouver (District) - Milestone Two
- Oakville - Milestone Five (plan completed, view it here)
- Red Deer - Milestone Three (phase one of plan completed, approved by Council, view it here)
- Surrey - Milestone Five (plan completed, view it here)
- Thunder Bay - Milestone Three (plan completed, view it here)
- Vancouver - Milestone Five (plan completed, view it here)
- Metro Vancouver - Milestone Three
- Victoria - Milestone Three
- Waterloo (Region) - Milestone One
- Windsor - Milestone Five (plan completed, view it here)
Frequently Asked Questions
Please send any questions to Leya Barry at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 647-728-4390.